Monday, 13 May 2013

Game Maps

I started looking at various maps for games, as this is usually a key aspect to most games and game-play, allowing players to navigate around the game!

Some examples below:



Key features to include are, labels on the areas, which may appear once an area is discovered, compass direction and the name of the entire area! Obstacles may also appear on the map!


So using the references I found, I chose to keep the map in a typical style you might see in Retro, 2D RPG games. These typical features include:

  • Basic, easy to read text, labelling areas (white with black outline)
  • Flattened/sideview of terrain, as opposed to relief map
  • COMPASS
  • Area/world name (in the corner of the map)
This map is a rough concept, and could be changed, depending on the final style of the game! I had decided parchment and scroll aesthetic would be most sutiable for the type of game being created here. I.e. Magical, RPG fantasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment