I used silhouettes on a dark background for the dark scene. Originally I had not planned to do it in this way. After testing it for the first time, however, I was immediately happy with the results. I opted for this method as drawing dark scenes for animation is a difficult task as so many shades of grey and black are needed and sometimes hard to discern from one another. The best example of drawn animation that has alot of night scenes is the anime 'Akira'.
This is a quote taken from http://www.bbakira.co.uk/prodreport/prodrep.htm
"The film takes place mainly at night. If you take a look at the colour chart, you will
see the tremendous variety of dark tones, many colours you'd never see in any
other animation. There's such subtlety in the variations that you wouldn't notice them
on a television screen, but in the theater, the large variety of colours, it really makes
a difference. It helps to create the night scenes".
- Yamana, Chief Colourist
In the case of using silhouettes, the shadows created by the natural curling of the paper helped to define the character in the dark.

No comments:
Post a Comment