These are the final storyboards I created - I have tried to represent the mood and atmosphere, through lighting, colour and composition.
The shots and sequence indicate the most important aspects of the film (why they are there, why they must move forward)
I chose the sounds for this animatic carefully. I chose this music box style of music for this reason - the time signature of the music fits with the rhythm in which I edited the images to (3/4 beat). I particularly liked the wind up mechanism sound at the beginning. This fits nicely with the horological theme, for the film.
As well as the images of the animals, I chose to add animal sounds that would most likely be associated with these extinct creatures. This is to inform and confirm to the audience what these creatures are.
Feedback: after showing this animatic with sound to an audience, I found that the story was clear to some, but not others. Certain aspects I used to inform the audience, were unclear and in fact, confused them instead. e.g. one comment I had was 'why is there a T-rex in a zoo'. To avoid this confusion, the problem here is not the presence of the T-rex, but the lack of exaggeration for the other characters, to show that they too are extinct creatures e.g. larger teeth, antlers and tusks on the other animals.
More specific sounds could be used as well. Some audience members found some of the animals sounded too similar.
For animation - often colour is the last part of the production process. But for this film it is an important aspect in creating the mood and atmosphere. However, by using colour so early I feel aspects such as lighting (through contrast in scenes) was overlooked slightly. Though I felt this was indicated through the use of shadow, most of the scenes appear too dark, and would need illumination. The darkness and shadow fits with the atmosphere of the film. However this does not communicate as effectively to the audience as I'd anticipated.
No comments:
Post a Comment