Sunday, 10 February 2013

Setting

The main part of the narrative I've focused on is the characters and their relationships within the story. The events and reactions that take place will be the way these relationships evolve and form the events and progression of the game.

Characters:

Nancy Beiman explains in her book 'prepare to board: creating character and story for animated features and shorts' how a story should be told by the most interesting characters, page 10:

The story I will be using is based on my own pets relationship. The characters in the story will include:


  • Cats (the two main characters: adult and kitten)
  • Snake (another pet)
  • Dogs (big/small/puppies)
I had struggled to think of a good motive and meaning within the story. The main event of the narrative sets the older cat off on a journey to find the missing kitten. I had been using a typical home life, with the animals being ordinary house pets in an urban area. After a lot of thought I knew this idea was struggling to find real meaning within it. 

Whilst working on a separate project, designing logo's I was looking at wizards. This is when the concept evolved into a more plausible idea: making the pets wizards familiars. The fantasy setting gives more freedom with design the settings and the possibility of more actions/options for game play.

Can still keep a Christmas theme, but adapt slightly for the virtual game world, to winter festivities. This may possibly be less restricting on the marketing of the game.





No comments:

Post a Comment