Sunday, 4 November 2012

Cinematography - Stories without words!

I thought I'd start by gathering a few videos that have tried to tell a story, without the use of words!


A Story Without Words from Melissa Virzi on Vimeo.

I wasn't too sure about the story of this. I can see how the creator has used different shots to focus the audiences attention to objects or people that are important to the story (e.g. the note is an important artifact within the story)
The lighting is flat and basic, so there the mood is difficult to determine. I find it hard to understand who the characters are as well.



This video was also based on a true event, using photos only. The photo's panel what is going. Although there is no lighting (these photos were taken spontaneously), Though the cameraman has managed to include extreme, wide shots and close-ups of the characters in this story (the man, dog and the owner). As a short story the characters make this 30 second story powerful.
Animals and children could be seen as symbols of helplessness (they need protecting and looking after). The dog in danger in this story sets the mood straight away. The audience is gripped, will the dog be saved!


Hitchcock:
http://borgus.com/hitch/hitch2011.htm

Film lighting techniques:
http://www.lavideofilmmaker.com/filmmaking/film-lighting-tips.html

No comments:

Post a Comment