The 'Pre production' phase
The link below:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2006/03/16/the-game-production-pipeline-concept-to-completion
goes through the production pipeline for making a game. The pre-production team usually consists of producers, designers, programmers, artists and writers. All the games design documents are created in this phase of the process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Pre-production
the link below:
shows a job description for a pre production artist. Though its outdated, I found the job description to be quite useful in understanding the skills I would need to demonstrate, to progress as a pre production artist.
http://www.cgarena.com/job/3357
Key skills listed here include:
High concept
which will start with the 'high concept', often just one single line describing the game. Such as a futuristic racing game or ninja tournament game.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Pre-production
Pitch
After the 'high concept' has been established, the next step in the pre production phase is the 'pitch' a.k.a. 'concept document', 'game proposal'. This step is where the idea for the game and its profitability is pitched to a publisher. Often it will be pitched within a company to managers. This may be verbal, but publishers usually like to see a written documents. If the pitch is successful, then the game can do into development.Concept
Once the game reaches this stage of development the 'concept document' or 'game plan' is created, and is much more detailed than the 'pitch'.
Game design document
Pre production artists role
the link below:shows a job description for a pre production artist. Though its outdated, I found the job description to be quite useful in understanding the skills I would need to demonstrate, to progress as a pre production artist.
http://www.cgarena.com/job/3357
Key skills listed here include:
- the ability to storyboard
- Draftsmanship/ drawing skills
- knowledge of Photoshop, illustrator and flash
- knowledge of 2D animation
- Staging and composting skills
Another example here is a job descriptoon for a concept artist for a games company (Konami):
Key skills here include:
- Drawing skills traditional/ digital
- Eye for light, value, weight, colour and composition
- Ability to understand and translate gameplay elements in visuals that enhance these elements
- strong visual story telling skills
- 3D skills here (maya,3ds max) are a plus
(I have not listed qualities such as experience, as I am focusing, at this point, on the skills I will need to develop as a pre production artist.)
It seems it is important to understand animation processes. Understanding 2D and 3D will be more of an advantage.
Composition, colour and value can be all be developed by looking at paintings and other art (in particular art with a narrative) as well as work by pre production artists. Hans. Bacher claims (dreamworlds) a film that seems great is not usually so by accident. Most great films are composed and designed in a way that each scene will be able to communicate the mood, atmosphere and narrative through composition, colour, value etc. to the audience.
As an example I've chose a few well known paintings for there use of light and composition.
As an example I've chose a few well known paintings for there use of light and composition.
![]() |
| Bal du Moulin de la Galette by Pierre-Auguste Renoires |
This quick sketch shows how I might be able to show this in a story board
![]() |
| Cafe terrace at night by Vincent van Gogh |
![]() |
| Sunday afternoon on the island of Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat |
The colour at the front is very cool, showing characters at the forefront in shadow, detail with block, contrasting shadows. The warmer colour make up the middle of the image.
I experimented with this composition of colour, so that the image moves from cool to warm in opposite order to how they are usually used.





No comments:
Post a Comment