I learnt alot from creating the vehicles for this game, however, I felt I could do more to learn about using Maya or 3D in a way that's suitable for games. I had kept the models simple before to ensure the resolution would not be to high to fit in the game. However with these exercises shown here I learnt new techniques to create low resolution props and models that can be animated within a game and its game play.
One of the first exercises I tried was to create some foliage for a game. The best method to create and irregular shape, like this ivy leaf, was maya's create polygon tool. I added the details to create a high resolution leaf. But for just one leaf, this created alot of polygons to the model.
Used normal maps to create the leafs texture from the high res model. Add 32 bit in photoshop to use alpha channel. Only use alpha channels when using opacity maps as the empty alpha channel takes a lot of space within a game. Also, only alpha opacity maps use 32 bits to compensate for the alpha channel.

This creates a leaf texture that can be added onto a plane. Duplicate leaves along a curve (curve represents vine)

![]() |
| top view |






![]() |
| High resolution model |
![]() |
| Low resolution model |









No comments:
Post a Comment